Saturday, September 13, 2008

Somewhere Between Nothing and Everything

Lacrosse yesterday was so awesome, and soooooo needed. It's the first time I've played since June, but I picked it back up right away. We had a scrimmage going, played keep away, laughed a lot. It felt so good to be around the team again, and to meet two of the new girls who are playing. Two freshmen girls showed up, and they are REALLY good and so sweet. We're a very... open team, which will take some getting used to for them (it would take some getting used to for anyone), particularly because it's only their second week of college, but they'll like us. One of them saw me at dinner afterwards yesterday and waved, it was so cute. So I guess despite my initial feelings on the matter, the freshmen are alright. We were just soooo much cooler when we were freshmen, it's hard to follow perfection.

A lot has been going on lately, besides lacrosse which will soon enough consume my life. I went into the city a few days ago to visit my friend's friends, and it was nice. Northeastern is huge, and I swear I saw someone from my high school smoking on a stoop.

I bought my last pack of cigarettes in Ptown over the summer for something close to $7. The fact that I would pay that kind of money for cigarettes alarmed me, and I haven't bought them since. I had my last cigarette on move in day (September 1). I miss smoking, but I don't miss how expensive it was or how I couldn't run a mile without feeling like I was going to die. I don't miss how the smell lingers on your clothes and in your hair. I don't miss that sick feeling you get when you go hours without a cigarette and it's all you can think about.

I have developed a pretty bad cough since coming back to school, that I think needs to be checked out by health services. In any event, being around a bunch of people is not good for your health.

When I was in the city I saw a chipmunk. It was dark and I saw something frolick into the bushes and, because I live in suburbia, I figured it was a chipmunk, so I was like "awww it's so cute." My friend goes "Rachel... that's a sewer rat." Needless to say, I need to get out more. I've never seen a rat outside of a cage before.

I'm going to Tegan and Sara in a few weeks (October 4) in Worcester and I can't even wait. It's going to be an awesome concert, probably nowhere near as good as Celine Dion (I say probably knowing that it will be absolutely nowhere near Celine) but it will still be a lot of fun.

Then the following week is Canadian Thanksgiving and I'm going to St. John's Newfoundland to visit my uncle Paul and stay there for the long weekend. There is no place in the world where I would rather be at any given point in time than in Newfoundland. It's so beautiful, so perfect. And Paul is the best cook I know, which will make this trip all the better (considering that at school I'm lucky if I eat twice a day and going hungry isn't uncommon).

The food at my school SUCKS. Not only is it just plain bad, but I can't eat most of it. I was a vegetarian until Lent last year (I gave up vegetarianism for Lent, beat the system) and I haven't eaten red meat since... well for a very long time. I refuse to eat cows, pigs, goats, or bottom dwellers (like crabs or scallops). I eat chicken and fish and everything else that wasn't once a living breathing thing. The people who cater our meals can't cook, have absolutely no variety to what they offer, and aren't at all interested in making sure their vegetarian/non-standard customers are taken care of. You can only eat tofu so much before you actually become a tofu. And a slice of pizza for dinner, every night of the week, is not okay.

I very much look forward to eating real food when I go home for MOLLY'S BIRTHDAY NEXT WEEKEND. I miss my friends from home, but things are weird this year.

Last year we at least attempted to stay in touch, and I realize it's only been about two weeks but I've spoken to my best friend once, and my other best friends hardly at all. I love my friends at school, but they're different then my friends at home. We can just be hanging out doing nothing for hours and hours, just enjoying each others company at home. Here something has to be going on, we can't just hang out or sit in the same room and go conversationless.

I'm going to a party tonight and I'm dd, which never works out, so we'll see how that goes. I'll be safe and make good decisions (don't worry Molly).

My mom just told me that my roses and my tomatoes are doing wonderfully and she's already brought two of the tomatoes in to the house. I wish I was there to see it. I slaved all summer over the tomatoes and my roses and I'm not getting to see this. Arrrg it's very frustrating.

Per usual I have too much going on in my brain right now to write an interesting blog. I need some inspiration.

No comments: