Monday, September 15, 2008

People Who Should Stay Five Years Old Forever

My niece recently started kindergarten, and I mist just thinking about it.

I remember holding her for the first time in the hospital, being afraid I was going to drop her. I remember when she was a little older and she would jump off the couch and land on my chest, thinking it was the funniest thing when I would recoil in pain. She loves piggy back rides, and she used to love nothing more than holding my hand when we were walking around together. Everything seems so right with the world when she's with me, when there is a concrete reason for everything I do staring me in the eyes and calling me "auntie rachel."

Apparently she isn't adjusting very well to kindergarten. It's the first time she's really been on a schedule, the first time she's had to deal with kids in her face all the time. I don't really know what it must feel like for her, because I was in preschool (daycare, whatever you want to call it) from six weeks old on up.

My niece has had her neighborhood friends, her little cousins, and her baby brother up until this point. Otherwise, she really hasn't developed any skills in dealing with her peers. Which is a real shame if you ask me. I think all children should be in daycare, maybe not as early and as much as I was for most of my childhood, but daycare is very good for developing skills that kids not in daycare don't develope.

My niece is perfect and brilliant and I trust that she will do very well in kindergarten and everything she does in life. She certainly has a family that supports her 100%.

No comments: