Friday, September 19, 2008

How Do I Get Myself In Situations Like This?

Yesterday was kind of a crazy day. I had class from 9:30 until 3:00, with about an hour lunch break between my research methods class and the lab. We had to come up with ideas for a research study, one that we are actually going to conduct. My thesis at this point is that individuals with the perception that they have a strong support system (either from family, society or both) are better able to cope with stress. I'm still working out the kinks but it'm pretty pleased with it, and I found a meta-analysis that is REALLY going to help me out (I almost did a backflip when I discovered it).

Anywho, after research methods and that craziness I went to this woman to talk about studying abroad in the fall of 2009. I'm hoping to study in London, that way I can go all over Europe on weekends and holidays. I really want to study in Italy, but I'll get there if I study in London. I just want to go all over the place, see the world. And it looks like it's actually going to happen!

I was practically doing cartwheels down the hall when I remembered I had to go talk to the activities director. She was my RD last year, and we have a pretty good relationship, so I went to her office and we got to chatting. I was there to ask her if our orchestra (of about 6 people) could play in the tavern some night, since she is in charge of the schedule of activities. She said sure thing, and proceeded to print off the calender for the next three months.

We were chatting while she was printing off the schedule, and I all of a sudden burst off with "Hey, you know what we need here, a GSA!"

I go to a very small Catholic college, complete with nuns and priests and the whole shebang, so I didn't expect my notion to come to fruition.

Until she said "You just made my day!" and she started typing away. "I've been waiting for someone to volunteer themselves to start a GSA FOREVER!"

I wasn't aware I had volunteered myself, but I mean it's cool and all, I'll parent this new club if nobody else will. No lie at all, she was so excited about the fact that I was interested in a GSA that she emailed about a million people, asking them how to go about starting a new club and to get back to ME. I have to write a constitution for the club, go in frot of the student activities panel BY MYSELF and tell them why I want to start this club, how much money I will need, what I plan to do, how I plan to bring back to the community, etc. I need to get names and signitures and people interested in the club. So far I have lots of S's and a few G's who say they will join. I think I need ten people to be official and to get money, etc. But I definitely had no concept of what I was getting myself into. We really do need a GSA though, and I'm more than happy to be the person to start it, I just had no idea that I would be thrust into this position.

So during our, oh probably 45 minute conversation, I was nominated president and parent of the new GSA, the student activities director emailed one of the sisters and told her I am going to join Campus Ministry, I basically was talked into getting an Environmental Club started on campus (because I opened my big mouth and told her I had been president of the environmental club in high school), I was given a phone number to a local philharmonic orchestra that is looking for musicians, I join the activity board for my school (the people who plan everything that goes on around campus) and I got the calender for the next three months so we can decide when we want to play in the tavern (the only reason I went there in the first place).

And I'm double majoring, taking 20 credits this semester, playing lacrosse, planning on studying abroad next fall, trying to get into a seminar next semester that will consume most of my life/go to Italy on spring break. I realised the other day that with my majors, I need three seminars for my English major and I think two for my Psychology major. I'm also in the honors program, which has its own seminar I believe (maybe two seminars, I'm not sure), not to mention community service components and other requirements.

I also got an on campus job the other day tutoring people in writing for five hours a week. Which means I'm making money (albeit not a great deal of money).

And I'm home now, and all I want to do is sleep and forget about the giant mess I am creating for myself to be spread out over the next three years.

But I'm having fun and learning a lot, and that's all that matters right?

Oh and I did something to a muscle (the same muscle) in both of my legs last night at the gym. I don't know what I did or if there is even a name for it, but it hurts, and I'm a fool. Note to self: the hot girl at the gym doesn't care if you can (or in my case, can't) lift a shitload of weight on the leg press. I feel like subconsciously, I am aware of the fact that A LOT of people at my school are nursing majors, and overdoing it at the gym isn't so much masochistic as it is my mind intentionally trying to hurt my body so I have to lay around while the nursing majors take care of me. If only things worked in the real world the way they work in my mind :D

No comments: