Thursday, November 13, 2008

What a Wonderful Dream

I bought and watched Fried Green Tomatoes last night, which I've seen about a bagillion times on TV but I've never actually sat down and just watched it all the way through. It's a very well done movie and Mary Stuart Masterson is nothing short of drop dead gorgeous.

After having watched the movie, though, I decided I really needed to read the book so I had something to go off of.

OH. MY. GOD. The book is SO good. I work from 5-8 on Thursdays and I literally spent 2.5 hours reading that book, so much so that I didn't even notice when massive amounts of people came in to the student success centre. It's so good, I cannot put it down. Like most novels that are turned into movies, the movie is nothing like the book. I feel like, in many ways, the two could stand alone.

The Ally Panel went extremely well! We had three lesbians, one gay man, one bisexual, one questioning person, and an entire audience of all different genders, races, faiths, perceptions and orientations. Everyone who was there said it was a great success and they look forward to more in the future. According to many people in the audience they learned a lot, particularly about the support that GLBTQ people need. One girl told me she had no idea of how difficult it really is for GLBTQ youth, and her perception was changed. She also voted for McCain, which is an indicator of what's going on (or not going on) in her head.

I'm still really excited about the protest on Saturday, but people seem to be nervous about it. Why is everyone so nervous, people rallied all the times in the 60's and 70's and eventually were granted their rights. My best friend told me, and I quote to "run as though you are being chased by zombies" (because she knows about my unnatural fear of zombies as a result of watching far too many horror movies with Molly cause she thinks she is oh so hardcore, and I know you're reading this right now Molly) in the event that something goes down.

My mother (who is being slightly douchey for some reason lately, and I'm just going to assume she is wicked stressed at work at that I didn't somehow screw up again per usual) is worried about the rally, but she said she was going to go in to Hartford to see if there was one there this weekend (doubtful, Hartford sucks when it comes to things like this). She gets very testy when I talk about the GSA, and she has no interest at all in hearing about what is going on with the club I created, or in the life I am living in reality. She just skims the surface. But that's her I guess.

They brought up the issue of coming out to parents at the ally panel, and as much as I didn't really discuss it because it is a little too fresh for me, I did say that there was a palpible sense of relief when I came out to my mother and my sister. I know they both knew and were perhaps waiting for me to come out to them, perhaps waiting for me to bring a girl home, perhaps waiting for me to become a nun. Whereas my sister's relief turned in to happiness; happiness that I am happy in the life I am leading and the relief I have personally found in being myself, my mother's relief turned in to a kind of anger that I can't quite put my finger on. She doesn't want to talk about it, and it is very obvious. Maybe she is angry that she let me turn nineteen before she discussed this with me. Maybe she is angry that I even came out in the first place, or that she wasn't the first person I told. I'm not sure what her issue is, I can't understand her for the life of me.

I feel like my blogs always kind of take on a negative vibe but I totally do not mean for them to do that at all. It's hard for me to make things funny here because most of the funny things that go on in my life are inside jokes and would make absolutely no sense to anyone else. For example, when I ran to the bathroom tonight because I was literally about to pee my pants from laughing so hard at an impression my best friend at school did of a chick who lives down the hall from her. It was by far the hardest I have laughed in a very long time.

I'll leave you with this, so you can maybe get a sense of the real Rachel

No comments: