Thursday, November 6, 2008

Going Home

There is something so difficult to pinpoint about going home when you're living away in college. Your home, the place where you grew up, kind of fades into the background while your new home, your dorm or your apartment, transforms into your new home. The dorm is an extension of your old home, to an extent. It just lacks one thing: good food.

God, I would do terrible things for a good meal right about now. I didn't eat anything until 3:30 yesterday afternoon, so for the entire day I was wandering from class to class in a ravenous state. It's no one's fault but my own, and if I weren't so busy I would have time to eat, and sleep, but I have absolutely no time to myself these days. Besides right now, of course, when I'm doing nothing. These precious moments so few and far between.

I look forward to going home, to seeing Molly and Rob and Jaime. There is no one here who could ever possibly replace them in any capacity. I miss them terribly.

In weird news in the life of Rachel:

I had to break up a fight in the computer lab last night, somewhere between midnight and 2 am. There I was, writing my literature review, when all of a sudden I hear shouting coming from the lab next door. So I stand up and look at the other people in the lab with me. They looked concerned, so I ran over to the other room and saw two chicks and this kid named Robert (who has asbergers) getting up in each other's faces and making a lot of noise. So I get between them and tell Robert to sit down for a second and tell the girls who were getting in his face to back off. Eventually they calmed down so I went back to the lab where I was working, only to have to literally run back over to the room again five minutes later because they were yelling even louder and saying things like "I'm gonna kill you," things like that that really should not be said on a college campus. So one of the girls who was in the lab with me took Robert out into the hall and talked with him and calmed him down and told him to try and ignore the girls while I told the girls to back the hell off Robert because as much as Robert can handle himself (he is in college and he is living here on his own) he does not have the same social norms as the rest of us, and that if they had a problem with him to go to campus police. (What happened was Robert was singing or something and he walked up to one of the girls and she ripped something out of his hand and when she did, he smacked her in the face. I won't even lie and say she didn't deserve it, but honestly hitting people is not acceptable). So they settled down, but eventually the girls went to campus police and campo came back and hauled Robert away.

It was very intense, but I'm glad we were there to calm the situation down before someone seriously hurt someone else.

I'm looking forward to going home for a bit, sleeping in my own bed, reconnecting with my best friends, seeing Puppy and Kitty and forgetting about the escapade that was the recent election (besides Obama winning cause I definitely support Barack).

No comments: