Friday, October 10, 2008

O... Connecticut???

Okay everything needs to slow down and freeze for a hot second.

THE CONNECTICUT SUPREME COURT RULED IN FAVOUR OF LEGALISING SAME SEX MARRIAGE TODAY!!!

oH MY GOD

I was taking a nap in the hotel room in St. John's, Newfoundland this afternoon when I was awoken to my mother saying "Oh my gosh Rachel! Did you hear?"

To which I could only mumble "Uhm, no, I am asleep."

And then she told me that our state, the place I called home for most of my life, where I was born and raised, has come to the conclusion that "love is all you need."

Connecticut has never made me feel insignificant in any way, as a state, or as the town I live in, or the public school system I attended or the jobs I've had or the church I go to. I've always felt that I mattered, that I was a contributing member of society in my own way, just like everyone else I interacted with (or didn't). I feel that everyone matters, and by golly today Connecticut confirmed that conviction.

I wish I were in Hartford right now, so so so bad. If I weren't here for Thanksgiving I would be in Hartford right now decked out in rainbow glory and being riotously loud. All I can say is that Connecticut, you picked a terrible time to do this. Why couldn't you do this when I am home? Alas.

As an aside, Newfoundland is awesome. I'm having a great time, even though local time is a little after 12:30, and I've been up since 4:30 yesterday morning.

The weather was great today, and I went to my favourite spot in St. John's for a bit and then back to my uncle's house for good food and great conversation.

My favourite quote on the evening: On why my Newfie friend should be McCain's VP:
"Forget Palin, we can see fucking Ireland from here!"

2 comments:

Landlady of Fat said...

Come back so you can come to our wedding!! :D

Rachel said...

Ahh that's amazing!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!