Monday, June 9, 2008

Eeeek... A MOUSE!

Not just any mouse, but the one and only MICKEY MOUSE! That's right, I'm hanging with the mouse man himself in his very own Floridian paradise, Walt Disney World.

I love Disney World, I've been coming here ever since I was 4 years old, and over the past, eight or nine years we've been coming multiple times a year. I can't even tell you how many times I've been here, I've lost count.

This is, however, the first time I've been here for Gay Days in Disney.

Actually, that's incorrect. I was here in fifth grade for Gay Days. I had a terrible sunburn (story of my very Irish life) and all I wanted to do was sit around the pool and be awesome, so I didn't really enjoy the festivities.

That's not to say I enjoyed the festivities this year, either. I did appreciate this blissful time of year more than I did when I was 10, in any event. Because we are here from June 7-14, we were only here for the last weekend. Right now Gay Days are officially over, unfortunately. But I have interesting stories.

Well really only one interesting story. My mother and I were on the bus going back to our resort from Epcot after Illuminations and a fun filled day of travel (waking up at 4:30 in the morning for a flight is no fun... but when the destination is Disney it's totally worth it). If you've ever been to Disney you know they absolutely pack the buses as full as they possibly can. It just so happens that, among the people in the jam packed bus was a group of lesbians.

Now, understand, I've been working with my mother on her gaydar skills ever since our trip to P-Town several weeks ago. She picked up on these lovely ladies right away. I was just a little intimidated of these women. One was missing a tooth, and they all looked like they went to the gym regularly. When I looked at them I imagined bar fights or wrestling matches.

So my mother, who is friendly but not very friendly at all toward strangers, strikes up a conversation with these fine women.

The girls are looking for their stop, but they can't find it. "We haven't even started drinking yet!" one of them announced. (She's my hero).

My mother asked if they were looking to go to Downtown Disney. They weren't, but then they decided that they would. She told them to go to the last bus stop and get off there and wait for a Downtown Disney bus to come by. The girls asked what we were up to. My mom said "Well I want wine but my daughter here wants beer so we're going to go up to the store and buy some beer."

"They have beer here!" one of them said, and it was decided they would all get beer at the store then go back to the bus stop and wait for the Downtown Disney bus. They were incredibly friendly and nice and I do hope they had a wonderful time at Downtown Disney. I was so exhausted as soon as I sat down on the bed I passed out, having only taken a few sips of my beer.

When we were alone later (actually it was the next morning and we were swimming around the quiet pool) I said to my mother "They were some ruther scury lookin women on the bus last night."

To which my mother responds "Oh they weren't so bad. They're people too, ya know."

Trust me, I know. I would have been intimidated by them no matter what they're orientation. The fact that they could probably tell that I am a young queerling only made me more intimidated.

Anyway I'm having a grand time down here in the Florida and will get back to posting probably on Sunday unless something amazingly extraordinary happens.

Peace out girl scout

No comments: